Most Christians believe that the Sabbath command is cancelled. And, some believe that all Old Covenant laws are cancelled, including the whole Decalogue. So, why do I believe that all Old Testament laws are cancelled?
In my book “ALL Old Testament Laws Cancelled” I devoted 3 chapters to explaining why the laws from Genesis – Sinai are cancelled. Here are the 3 chapter titles…
13. Since Genesis Is Part of the Law, the Commands From Genesis вЂ“ Sinai Are Cancelled (Genesis is part of the law as revelation, not as covenant which started later at Sinai.)
16. The Church Is Built on the Foundation of New Testament Apostles and Prophets’ Teaching (Eph. 2:19-20ff., cf. 3:5, 4:11)
17. Archaeology Testifies That the Bible Contains 2 Separate Canons (Rules) (The Old Covenant’s structure has several parallels to ancient, near-Eastern treaties, which included historical introductions. Genesis appears to be the historical introduction to the Old Covenant law of Moses.)
Here is Chapter 13 in its entirety…
“Did you know that Genesis is part of the law as revelation (Old Testament?) Here are 4 reasons showing why Genesis is part of the lawвЂ¦
1. Genesis 21 is called “the law” in Galatians 4:21-22.
- “Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not listen to the law? For it is written that Abraham had two sons: one by a slave woman and one by a free woman” (Gal. 4:21-22 referring to Gen. 21; cf. Rom. 3:31ff.)
2. The phrase “law and prophets” means “Genesis вЂ“ Malachi” (the whole Old Testament).
3. Moses wrote the book of Genesis.
4. Archaeology testifies that Genesis is the historical introduction to the Old Covenant canon. God patterned the Old Covenant’s literary structure with some similarities to ancient, near-Eastern treaties, which included an historical introduction before the actual covenant document.
Ancient covenants were put into effect with a surrounding body of literature, a.k.a. canon. Covenant produces canon. Our Bible is made of 2 major covenants, the Old and New covenants, each surrounded by its own canon, the Old and New Testaments.
(To understand this more, see The Structure of Biblical Authority in #17 belowвЂ¦)
So, when the New Testament says the law is cancelled, that includes Genesis, not just post-Sinai commands.” (Excerpted from the book: вЂњALL Old Testament Laws CancelledвЂќ, 24 Reasons Why All Old Testament Laws Are Cancelled, And All New Testament Laws Are for Our Obedience, by Greg Gibson, p. 86)